Monday, April 2, 2012

Can You Give This Needy Kitten A Home? Such A Sweet Story - UPDATE : ADOPTED

On Tuesday I was walking down those steps from Bloor St. when I came upon a very pretty but scrawny young cat sitting on a step. Carefully, I passed by. The little creature followed after me. Content to have her ears scratched she then followed me down to the bottom of stairs and then hopped up on a low stone wall. I could see she was half starving and scarcely weighed 3 pounds. She had no collar. As I limped on home I wondered if she had a keeper. Within a half hour I drove back with a tin of cat food, a bowl, and a sealed container of fresh water. She was still there. Almost instantly she gobbled down the food as the attached picture shows. I bid her goodbye in the knowledge that at least she was going to have one good meal and would probably wander off.

On Wednesday morning I kept thinking about this little cat. Where I had found her is a densely wooded area, one side of which forms High Park. The houses on the other side are fairly deeply set back and the area is known for roaming fox and coyotes. Doesn't bode well for little cats if they don't have a home. Food and water in hand I drove over to the end of Wendigo Way and parked. At first I didn't see her but after I was out of the car, food in hand, the little creature emerged. Her appetite was still ravenous and I had become her new best friend. We made a date for late Wednesday afternoon. Now I wasn't really sure if this little guy was male or female. Either way a name was needed. The only one that came to mind was "Tigger." I spent some time petting her after "dinner hour." She looked forlorn as I left. I knew I would have to come back on Thursday if she was still there.

Now to Thursday. She had both breakfast and supper that day and showed an interest in climbing into my car. We then sat down by the wall while she polished off a larger can of shredded tuna in sauce. Two ladies came down the stairs from Bloor Street. One of them mentioned that she had three rescue cats and thought I was a "saint" to be tending to this little cat. As they wandered off I wondered why nobody on this street had taken an interest in helping this little creature. They were all million dollar plus homes. Mainly plus. That evening the weather forecast for yesterday, Friday, called for freezing temperatures and snow. Tigger wasn't really feral but she was very vulnerable and I felt it was time to try to make a difference. As we have three cats already, adopting her presented difficulties. So, what was the best way to rescue Tigger?

Yesterday morning before 9 am, I went looking for Tigger at her usual spot, but she wasn't there. All sorts or reasons occurred to me. Some unpleasant. But maybe it was now all academic and so I returned home with food, water and dishes in hand. Something told me - go back and take another look and at 10.30 am I returned. I pulled up and parked and as I got out Tigger emerged. After breakfast she easily entered the carrier I had brought along and we drove straight to the vet. An early afternoon appointment was available with "Dr.Ted." He wondered what the plan was. Tigger is indeed a young female. Somewhere between six and nine months. More likely 6 months. She was negative for any chip implant. No identification. Probably a "drop-ling" into High Park. He noted that people abandon small animals this way. I already knew that since both our recent cats, "Little Cat" and "Pennington" (in the grand tradition of Mr. Orange) showed up at our back door. I explained to Dr. Ted that it would be best if I could find a good home for Tigger - someone or a family that loved animals and would care for her. But first - certain things had to be done. Tigger needed blood work to check for viruses, such as Leukemia, and vaccinations for rabies and other potential diseases. If an animal is sick they really can't be placed and if they go to a shelter they are usually euthanized. Tigger spent his time on the examining table eating a big bowl of food and tossing back treats, purring like mad. Dr. Ted noted she had a very strong heart beat. Dr. Ted worked out the cost of a treatment plan which would have to include spaying, vaccinations, blood work, parasite testing, deworming and all the rest. I wondered how I would explain this to Lois whose most likely comment would be that I had a better chance of making it to Debtor's Prison," before making it to Heaven! My only response could be that it was more important to love all of God's creatures. During my mediation this morning, I thought I heard the words, "Love grows the more you give of it, including the love inside you." While Lois and I were sitting here this morning, the phone rang. It was Dr. Ted who had great news. Tigger was free of all viruses and had great blood work. Therefore her surgery can take place next week. Tigger will need a home with humans that love her. That's all for now. Aloha back to you.


Contact Cristian :


She's now back from the hospital and purrs like mad. She loves her tummy rubbed and her ears, head and neck stroked. It took her 5 minutes to figure out what a litter box was. She no longer has to wear her Elizabethan collar as her surgical wound from being spayed has now healed. She weighs in at a healthy 5 pounds and she has a beautiful coat.  A pretty little lady indeed.

So far I have had no success in placing this little lovable creature for adoption. Any of your efforts would be appreciated. She needs a loving and caring home. Tigger's most recent pictures are attached.

Tigger is six months old, more or less, and has come through all her medical tests with flying colours. I feel grateful to have had the opportunity to give her a big boost in her young life and I hope that others can now take over. Please feel free to pass along Tigger's picture and this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment