Saturday, March 12, 2011

Two Pets Die In Downtown Fire

A Friday morning fire in downtown Toronto claimed the lives of two pets and sent two firefighters to hospital with minor burns. Toronto Fire responded to the blaze just before 4 a.m. at a three-storey rooming house near Gerrard and George Sts. One dog and one cat died, and two firefighters were sent to hospital with minor burns. No other residents were injured. Officials said they suspect the blaze ignited after a pot was left on a stove in a kitchen in the basement of the building. More than 50 firefighters and 13 trucks were required to knock down fire, roughly 20 minutes after it was first reported. Toronto Fire Services estimates the damage is approximately $125, 000.

A dozen residents were evacuated and will not be able to return until utilities are restored to the building. This is the second fire in a rooming house this week. On Thursday, a 49-year-old man was pulled out of a burning rooming house at Bathurst and Dundas Sts. by firefighters and sent to hospital in serious condition. Rooming houses are those residences where multiple rooms are individually rented out to tenants. They are licensed and regulated by the City of Toronto.
*The Toronto Star

No comments:

Post a Comment