Monday, April 19, 2010

Remember Folks, It's Now Getting Too Warm Throughout The Days To Do This!

A young puppy was doggone excited to be rescued from the hot back seat of a car in downtown Toronto Monday afternoon, thanks to a concerned citizen.
The small husky was locked in a cage, with a dish of water just out of reach, for about two hours before she was freed by Toronto Police officers and handed over to an Animal Services worker.
“I was on my way home and heard this poor dog yelping,” said Mike Webster, 54, who lives in an apartment building on Spadina Rd. a block north of Bloor St. W.
“I didn’t know if it was in distress, but it was panting and it certainly seemed like it wasn’t happy to be trapped in there.”
The husky, believed to be about three months old, was in a silver Chevy Cobalt parked in front of Webster’s building at about 1 p.m., according to a parking meter ticket on the dash.
The ticket showed the dog owner paid for three hours of parking.
Webster said the sun was beating down on the car, prompting him to call Animal Services around 1:40 p.m.
He called Toronto Police 20 minutes later because Animal Services hadn’t shown up yet.
The car’s windows and sunroof were left open a crack and the sun had dropped behind the building, putting the car in shade by the time police officers and an Animal Services staffer arrived at about 2:30 p.m.
“That’s still a long time to leave a pet alone locked in a vehicle, especially a puppy,” Webster said. “I think people need to be reminded now that the warmer weather is here not to leave their pets, or children, locked in a vehicle.”
While it was cool in the shade Monday, it was quite warm in the sun as the temperature reached about 15C.
However, it would have been much warmer in the cage locked inside a car, which is why Animal Services determined at about 3 p.m. that the pooch should be rescued.
A police officer managed to reach inside the car’s sunroof and unlock the doors. The puppy was removed and immediately gulped down some water before expressing her gratitude to her rescuers by licking all involved and rolling over to have her belly rubbed.
At 3:30 p.m., the dog owner still hadn’t returned to the car, so animal care and control officer Kathleen Buchanan took custody of the puppy.
She said Animal Services decides “on a case by case basis” whether charges should be laid.
In this case, the dog’s owner will not be charged because the puppy wasn’t in any real danger.
“But they’ll get a stern warning,” Buchanan said.

*Taken from The Toronto Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment